Monday, February 11, 2013

Staying Grounded


Hanging in my office is the painting “Christ My Pilot” by Warner Sallman.  It has hung in my office for over 15 years. His most famous painting was “The Head of Christ” in 1941 that has now sold more than 500 million copies. Warner was recognized as the “best-known artist of the century” by the New York Times in 1994.  The goal of his paintings was to “illuminate the mysteries of Christ” so that people would understand what a relationship with him would bring.

What was the mystery it captured for me?  I have made some mistakes along the way in my leadership journey.   I have also had successes that have been a lot of fun, and learned a lot about myself, my faith, and my passions.  The painting came to represent how I feel much of the time leading organizations and working with some very committed volunteers and staff.  I know my success as a leader comes only as much as I am willing to put myself in the picture as the young sailor and commit the tasks to the one who had prepared me for the work ahead.

Psalm 32:8 (ESV) says "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you."  While I don't know if this was the verse Warner had in mind as he painted this picture in 1950 while staying at a YMCA, I do know this is the promise I have as leader when I am willing to let God direct my steps to accomplish his plan.

It’s easy to fall back on past success or get caught up in the stress of the moment and forget that apart from God my efforts fall short. I have to remember that it is through him that I am able to align my head, heart, hands, and habits to accomplish all that he has laid out for me as a leader.  Edging God out – as Ken Blanchard calls it - in even one of these areas will eventually end in a leadership failure and not achieving all that was possible.

So – what is the reminder for you to keep grounded and connected to your values and beliefs?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...