Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Learn, Connect, Grow


One of the reasons I enjoy helping facilitate training and leadership sessions is the opportunity it provides to learn from the participants and be reminded of best practices.  There's always at least one of those “aha" moments that makes me pause and retune what I am doing.

I was on a career panel this weekend answering questions and sharing thoughts on career development.   Two questions put my brain in motion. But the one that challenged me to rethink some things was  a basic question.  "How do I find a mentor and how do I network for success?"  It hit me after the three of us on the panel answered with pretty standard answers.  I realized that we do a lot of gathering together by position type or leadership levels.  We have limited opportunities for young leaders to connect with the perceived leaders of the organization. Both are missing out. Organizational leaders miss out previewing new leaders, hearing new ideas, and learning to understand other generations.   Less experienced staff miss out on the opportunity to create a broader network, share ideas, find mentors, and grow. 

Some of my greatest learnings were from watching and learning from the experienced CEOs and leaders talk and debate issues in the small groups or over lunch - they were more candid with their peers without a microphone or stage, they liked to give an answer when asked, and their true personalities came out.  I remember making mental notes to do certain things and in some cases not to do some things (don’t wear something light colored with pasta served!).  This mixed group of leaders from across the area met monthly or at least bi-monthly.  Eventually, I was invited to be a part of a learning circle of 5 that met regularly to share ideas on a topic.  I was the least experienced at the time and felt privileged to be a part of the group.

Whether we rely too much on technology to network and connect, dismiss the connections in favor of efficiencies, or just plain forget the impact those before us had in our careers - we need mentors and cross generational relationships to happen.  It’s good for all of us.

Do you have venues to network and connect experienced leaders with frontline leaders? What will you do to ensure that those following you have the tools to be successful in the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...