Sunday, October 30, 2011

Mixed Messages


I was out for a bike ride this weekend.  I was on the bike trail and came to the intersection just as the light turned green for the cross traffic.  I slowed to a stop and was balancing waiting for the one car to go.  Instead, he stays stopped and motions for me to cross  – nice guy I thought, must be a biker.  As I got in front of his car he leans out the window and yells “Get off the road and get out of the way!”

Huh?  What did you want me to do?

Mixed messages also create questions and confusion for our teams.
  • The due date is Friday – but I am going to start asking for it on Monday.
  • The goal is 100 – but I am not going to acknowledge success until 120.
  • Be creative – but don’t change anything
Be clear.  Be complete.  Invite and answer questions.  Share your message and expected outcomes so your team knows where they are going, why they are going, and then coach them to success without a mixed message.  Everyone wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...