Sunday, July 24, 2011

Self Leadership

"If you look to lead, invest at least 40% of your time managing yourself -- your ethics, character, principles, purpose, motivation, and conduct.
(Dee Hock, founder of VISA)

The quote from Dee Hock is a great challenge.  Unless I, as a leader, invest my time in keeping the foundation strong, I will soon be trying to lead from a position of deficit.  I need to be keenly aware of what it is that keeps me grounded so that I stay connected to my individual purpose, committed to my values and principles, and aligned with my behaviors and my beliefs.  Whether or not 40% is the magic number is not the issue - but being fully committed to leading myself is the critical point.

Some of the greatest people failures in the world have happened because too much time was spent trying to lead from a position of deficit.  The deficit was created by projecting an image that was personally not sustainable.  A lessened personal commitment to the promoted values settles in, an understanding of a life purpose and self worth greater than the project's outcome was lost, a sense of entitlement and being above the rules was allowed a gravitational pull, and a disconnection from accountability slipped under the radar.

None of these things happened overnight or even intentionally.  They started when the commitments and habits for self leadership slowly slipped through rationalizations and misuse of time.  Before long the foundation eroded and the collapse happened.

Schedule time for self leadership activities.  It may be practices of faith, commitments to personal growth found in conferences and study, daily planning habits and wellness habits, or accountability to a peer group or mentor.  Our teams are depending on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...