Saturday, July 2, 2011

Reminders on Leadership from the Bike Seat

I usually ride solo for my workouts – but on Sunday, two of my three teenage daughters and wife wanted to go as well.  I downsized the ride and we completed our 13 mile trek through Minnehaha Falls, Ft. Snelling, and the Big Rivers Trail.  We stopped a handful of times to look at the scenery, get drinks, and view the bridges from the opposite side of the ride.  It wasn’t at the workout pace I anticipated, but the end result was everyone had fun and enjoyed the time out on the trail. 

As I reflected back afterward, I realized that there were good reminders on leadership from the ride – things I know but sometimes forget.

·         Everyone likes to know where they are going.  Explaining the journey and what can be expected helps people know how to prepare.

·         It’s important to celebrate the intermediate victories.  We stopped and saw the trail from higher and lower vantage points from the opposite sides and it brought a sense of accomplishment.  It provides a chance to take a quick breath before moving on.

·         Giving ample time for change of direction eliminates frustration (and prevents unplanned crashes).  Groups function better when important changes in plans are communicated with time to react.

·         Checking in helps you understand if the pace is right – are people comfortable, can they do more, do they need encouragement.

And the final reminder from my wife…"if you want them to like riding, you have to ride at a pace where they can keep up.”  Same thing with our teams – while it is our job to set the pace, it is also our job to make sure that we have everyone along with us.  Or it is just another solo ride (which I still got in after everyone dispersed to other activities when we got home).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...