Monday, March 5, 2012

A Big Perspective


I was walking through the store with my wife the other night.  I heard a child’s voice say, “Mom, look at that big man!”.  I looked around and didn’t see anyone but heard my wife laugh, “He was talking about you.”  Looking down the aisle I saw a 4 year old boy holding hands with parents that were  5’6’’ at best.  At 6’5” I looked like a giant to this boy who spends most of days with parents who are much closer to his height.  I was looking for someone bigger than me.

Most people know the story of David and Goliath taken from I Samuel 17 in the Bible.  The king and his men were overwhelmed with the giant Goliath and saw the battle as a death wish.  David walks onto the scene to check on his brothers and volunteers to go against Goliath.  His faith and confidence in seeing God work gave him a completely different perspective.  He was offered a multitude of weapons and protections, but he set them aside.  Instead of being restricted by the unfamiliar and complicated he chose the simple slingshot.  The end result was a dead giant, a grateful army, a future king, and a reference to “giant killer” throughout the history of competitive sports.

It’s all about perspective.  When we are in the midst of a challenge, many things loom large and daunting.  Taking a step back or receiving coaching from someone outside the challenge can help us frame things into a much less threatening situation and see the opportunities on the horizon.

Perspective changes things. Old is always 15 years older than you; big is always bigger than you; and a challenge is something you haven’t done before.  Armed with confidence, faith, and different point of reference and that challenge looks a little more achievable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...